At least 164 racialized migrant workers from Mexico have tested positive for COVID-19 at Scotlynn Group’s farm in Norfolk County, Ontario. Meanwhile, the employer is offering to pay Canadian residents $25/hour to harvest asparagus. We have never heard of a migrant farmworker anywhere earning $25 an hour for their hard-earned labour.
Please take the following actions today in support of migrant justice. It won’t take long to tweet, email and/or phone right now:
1. TWEET at @scotlynnGroup. Ask, the employer:
- “Will migrant farm workers also be paid $25 an hour?”
- “Will you commit to not repatriating workers who are sick or injured?”
- “Will you commit to paying migrant workers full wages and no deductions during their quarantine period, at the same rate you are paying Canadian residents?”
- “Will you commit to rehiring all migrant labourers next year and paying the $25 they are offering this year to Canadian workers?
You can use the following hashtags: #migrantjustice #fairwagesnow #covid19 #covid19Ontario #onpoli #onlab #onlab
Feel free to CC @fordnation @montemcnaughton @marcomendicino @cquantrough and @mclaudebideau.
2. EMAIL the employer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please CC email@example.com so we can keep track of how many emails are sent. Sample email:
I am aware that you are offering to pay $25/hour to assist with harvesting asparagus, and I am writing to inquire whether or not the migrant workers employed at your workplace will also be paid $25 an hour. Will you commit to this as well as paying the workers full wages during their quarantine? Furthermore, will you ensure that no migrant worker who is sick or injured will be repatriated, and that they will be provided full access to the Canadian healthcare system? Finally, will you commit to rehiring all workers next year if they so choose to return to Scotlynn, paying the $25 rate that you are offering to Canadian residents? I await a response from you.
3. PHONE Scotlynn Group at 1-800-263-9117 ext 2225. Phone script:
I am phoning today to ask about your job posting. Are you paying migrant farm workers $25 as well? Will you pay the workers full wages during their quarantine, and will you commit to not sending home injured and sick workers so they receive full access to our healthcare system? Finally, will you rehire all the workers next year if they choose to return? For years your farm business has relied on migrant workers, and its our hope that they will be treated with fairness and respect during this pandemic.